Sat, Sep 15|
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory
Hops and Hawk Ridge!
A bus trip from the Twin Cities to Duluth to view the raptor migration at Hawk Ridge and sample tasty Duluth drinks
Time & Location
Sep 15, 2018, 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory, 3980 E Skyline Pkwy, Duluth, MN 55804, USA
About The Event
This is a day long bus/van trip to visit one of the premier spots in the country for hawk migration! Then we'll enjoy lunch and a couple of fine Duluth breweries!
Trip details are still being determined, so the details below may change as plans are made.
We'll meet at a Twin Cities location at 8am to board the bus and make the drive up to Duluth. On the way, we'll talk about raptor migration, hawk ID, Hawk Ridge, and any other bird topics you'd like to discuss.
When we arrive, it will be the perfect time to start watching the wonderful raptor migration on the Ridge! We will start with a presentation by a Hawk Ridge Bird Observatory naturalist about raptor ID, Hawk Ridge, and including seeing and releasing a banded raptor (subject to availability)! Then we will stay and watch the hawks pass by the ridge for another couple of hours. Hawk ridge can see flights of up to 10,000 Broad-winged Hawks in mid-September! This is the prime migration time for Broad-winged Hawks, Osprey, American Kestrels, Northern Harriers, Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, and Merlins. Other raptors that are a little outside their prime migration window but are possibilities include Peregrine Falcons, Turkey Vultures, Red-tailed Hawks and Bald Eagles.
After spending a few hours up on the ridge, we will descend into Duluth and head out for lunch and beer at Canal Park Brewing Co. They have a full kitchen, in addition to their wonderful beer, so this is a great spot to grab lunch. Then we'll move along and sample the wares at Hoops Brewing/Slip Bar. This pair of establishments is unique in that they share a space, but not ownership, so Hoops sells their beer, while the Slip Bar is a full service bar that serves many non-beer options! But we can all hang out together in the same space (but drinks must not cross the boundary line).
Then we'll board the bus and head back to the Twin Cities! We expect to be back by 8pm.
Weather note: This event will run rain or shine! Raptor migration is weather dependent, so the numbers and variety of hawks can vary significantly depending on what the weather lottery gives us that day! Many times, if the weather is less ideal for numbers of raptors, it often leads to the ones that do show up giving better views, including sometimes when we can view flying raptors from above! If the weather is such that no raptors are migrating - we'll head to other Duluth hotspots to see other birds. Often, when the raptors are not flying, the other Duluth hotspots are absolutely hopping with birds!
Note about children: I leave it to you to determine whether this would be an appropriate trip for your particular child. Young birders who are interested in the hawkwatching and learning about birds would be most welcome. Feel free to send me an email if you have any concerns or questions!
Early bird tickets are $80 (available until Aug. 30th). Then tickets will be available for $90 from Sept. 1 to Sept. 7. Last minute tickets will be available from Sept. 8 to Sept. 13th for $100.
The trip includes:
- Bus or van transportation from the Twin Cities. Bus pickup will be at the Mall of America in Bloomington and the 95th Ave Park and Ride in Blaine. Choose whichever location is more convenient for you!
- Presentation by Hawk Ridge staff about raptors, including viewing and releasing a banded raptor (subject to raptor availability)
- Hawkwatching time at Hawk Ridge
- Handouts on Raptor ID and the birds of Hawk Ridge
- Light snacks
- A coolers to store any growlers you may purchase
The trip cost does NOT include:
- Meals or beverages. This is a BOBYO (Bring or buy your own ;) event. While I expect many people to have lunch at Canal Park Brewing and for people to sample the drinks at both stops, due to the differences in what people would like to try and how much they eat and drink, I am letting people purchase their own drinks and food. If you would like to bring your own food on the trip, that is perfectly okay as well. I will have a few snacks to nosh on.
Available Sept. 7 to Sept.13